Skip to main content

Sitecore 2-Letter Aliases

I ran into an issue today while using the Aliases feature in Sitecore. What I was trying to do was put the following Aliases in and pointing them to some internal item.

  • TR
  • SR
However, when I tested it out, it was returning an error in my page instead of redirecting to the corresponding target item. I tried to republish, remove any redirect logic or IIS redirects to isolate the issue, but the problem persisted. 

Then it dawned on me, that Sitecore maybe using this 2 letters as a language key. Which seemed to turn out to be true. When I tried to use something like:
  • http://hostname/en (works)
  • http://hostname/tr (fail) - this basically translates to fetch me the Turkish content 
  • http://hostname/sr (fail) - this basically translates to fetch me the Serbian content 
So basically, SC is resolving these 2 letter links as sort of language switches. 

So for now, I'd be refraining from using any two-letter combo for Aliases in the list provided in this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Add/Allow a different media URL prefix in Sitecore (aside from tilde ~) in Sitecore 7.0

We recently had a requirement when one of our external vendors required that our media URLs should not include the "~" in the link as their system could not process those correctly. I found a few articles in the web, but most of them would suggest changing the default behavior, i.e. any "new" media item would have the 'new' replacement character though still supporting the tilde "~". Based on the web articles, I started with the following config keys and section: Media.RequestExtension Media.MediaLinkPrefix customHandlers We did not want to change any of the default behaviors, we just needed a way to make Sitecore support the additional URL media prefix. While sifting through the configuration, I chanced upon the following section: <mediaPrefixes>  According to the comment above it: Allows you to configure additional media prefixes (in addition to the prefix defined by the Media.MediaLinkPrefix setting)            The

Add Export to File Functionality in Sitecore's Search Options

One of our business users was requesting for a listing of items they've already added and have it available in a format that can be opened in a spreadsheet (Excel). My initial thought was to create a blank aspx page and write all the logic to get the data in the code-behind, run it and save the resulting file to a csv then I'm done. But then it got me to think, it might be a better idea to have this functionality plugged in to Sitecore and made available for everyone to use.  Sitecore Bucket's Search Options fly-out seemed a good candidate for this feature (See image below). So doing some quick readings I got myself in to the "zone" and started implementing this quick and dirty PoC. Just to explain what it actually does. User will basically do a search, ( Note that all search options require some filters or search keyword before any of the options can be used ) clicks the Export to File, it pops up a dialog to confirm the action and executes, after w

Implementing a Secure Media library in Sitecore

Our internal clients wanted us to secure some of their resources stored in the media library so that only authenticated and authorized extranet users are able to view or download them. Our current setup has the following components, I'll simply focus on the 3rd and 4th points: Sharepoint Workflows on a Sharepoint 2007 Server. This serves as the working repository of the resource owners. Sitecore Sharepoint Integration Framework. This hooks up Sitecore with the designated document library in Sharepoint for all finalized files/documents Integration folder in the Media library Login page to handle the authentication Create your login page. You have the option to create your sublayout for this (mostly to control the page contents etc.) or you can just quickly create one and put it in one of your folders in your solution. I normally use CodeFile directive in my pages as we found it easier to maintain this type of setup in the long run. There are plenty of samples of the login